25.1.11

That Bloody Speak & Spell!


For those of you not in need of botox, you have never seen nor heard of one of these before-a Speak & Spell. Children in the '80s loved them, well, nerdy children like myself. It was my version of the DS. If you love to spell, raise your hands in the air like you just don't care !!!! Since I love all things '80s, I had to find one on Ebay so that Wyatt could become an excellent speller like myself (in the spirit of full disclosure, I should mention that I can spell, but I cannot pronouce anything because of my obsession with learning words in order to spell them). Did I also mention that I was the official class speller in Mrs. Stodghill's 9th grade honors English class--few have held the title. Wyatt busted out with the S&S the other day and he asked for help in spelling the word honor. He couldn't remember the "H." I spelled it for him, but the not so familiar, "You are incorrect." rang out. I was confused until it dawned on me that this particular Speak & Spell was sent from the UK. Across the pond, honor is, of course, spelled honour. Wyatt should do swimmingly in his study abroad stint at St. Andrews, but not so well on his second grade spelling test.



2 comments: